The selection of grantees is a competitive process based on the academic performance and credentials of the doctoral candidates, in order to guarantee the selection of high-quality students.
Eligibility check: In a first phase all applications will be checked on their technical admission requirements (such as diploma & language). In case candidates do not fulfill these requirements they will not be academically reviewed. This preparatory phase of selection is organized by the FUSION-DC office.
Evaluation: In a second phase the FUSION-DC Steering Committee, assisted by the Scientific Board, will review all technically complete application files. A final priority list of doctoral candidates, eligible for an Erasmus Mundus doctoral grant, will be based on academic scores, fusion and plasma related interest and background, motivations and other relevant criteria. Further, three recommendation letters will be taken into account (with as criteria the names and reputation of the referees, their ranking of the Master student, their evaluation of the language and other capacities of the student). Extra language skills and score reports of a GRE general test are positive selection criteria.
This evaluation process will be organized using an online platform. Evaluators (all members of the FUSION-DC Steering Committee and the Scientific Board) will have online access to all application files and will be able to score the predefined selection criteria.
In order to get a good view on the motivation and background of the candidates interviews will be organized (through Skype or phone) for the remaining eligible candidates. Based on these evaluations, the candidates will be ranked in a priority list.
The final step in the selection process is making up the main and reserve list of doctoral candidates as required by EU-EACEA.
Based on this ranking, candidates will be assigned their first or second topic of interest.
Review: The Main and Reserve list with doctoral candidates, proposed by the FUSION-DC Steering Committee, will be approved by the FUSION-DC Scientific Board and will be forwarded to EU-EACEA for approval under the conditions set up by the EU. After approval by EU-EACEA, the FUSION-DC office will contact the selected candidates to start the registration procedures and mobility arrangements (invitation letters to obtain visa, preparation of employment contracts, preparation of the candidate doctoral agreements).
- Eligibility criteria:
- Diploma Requirements
- A prerequisite for admission is that applicants have a Master degree in Physics, Physics Engineering, or other equivalent degree. A study record incorporating 300 ECTS is eligible (equivalent to 5 years of graduate studies with thesis).
- Hard copy versions of diplomas (or transcript of records for those who have not yet obtained their diploma).
- Diploma Requirements
- Language Requirements (max. 3 years old certificate)
- A recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 587 points (Paper) or 95 points (Internet).
- Or a recent IELTS Certificate: minimum score: 7 (with 6,5 minimum on each part)
- Or a recent First Certificate in English of the University of Cambridge.
- Or a recent Certificate of a University Language Centre testifying that the student masters the necessary knowledge of English to function academically (specify CEF-level): C1 level.
- Study Results (score from 0 to 5)
- Weight of 40%
- Motivation Letter (score from 0 to 5)
- Weight of 20%
- Recommendation Letters (score 0 to 5)
- Weight of 20%
- Scientific output / Relevant skills / Experiences / CV (score from 0 to 5)
- Weight of 30%
Application phase: October - January
Evaluation phase: January - February
Awarding decision / meeting : February
Provisional Selection status (and preliminary communication): by the end of February
Final approval by EACEA: expected early May
Without prejudice to high academic standards, in order to ensure geographical diversity among the doctoral candidates, no more than two doctoral candidates with the same nationality can be awarded an EMJD fellowship in the same Doctorate Programme.